Friday, July 14, 2006

Swatch & Substitutions

I appreciate your blind devotion Krista. Bwa ha ha - I have them in my thrall now!!
The Swatch is measured over the body pattern stitch which is graphed out. I would/will cast on at least 30 sts, doing 3 sts on each end in garter st. You will just have to pay attention on the rows that have "yo, dec2, yo", working just a single dec at the ends to keep your stitch count constant. After working at least 4" in length, cast off very loosely and block. Wet it up, give it a squeeze and pin it. (and teenagers think they've got the market cornered on double-entendres) With a gauge of 17 sts'4" the 24 sts of pattern should measure 5.6". After it's dry unpin it, give it a wee shake and let it rest a bit. Now - do you like it? Measure it. Is it to gauge? If you like it and it is to gauge (or not far off) then you're golden!! Otherwise you may want to adjust your needle size and do another swatch. I know, but this is not going to be one of those weekend projects and you really want to like it & have it fit (presumable you) when it's done.

The Substitution Suggestions

K1C2 Douceur et Soie
Madil Kid Seta

These next 3 are a little lighter, but I'm sure (especially since I'm using one of them) that they will be just fine.
Alchemy Yarns Haiku
Jaggerspun Zephyr
Karabella Lace Mohair

Let us know if you have another suggestion!